Sunday, May 9, 2010

What it means to be a Mom

My mother is a wonderful woman. She is who taught me about love, tenacity, joy and sadness. She and I haven't always seen eye to eye, very rarely did we back in my teen years. My mother is strong and determined but always supportive. I learned from her how to work hard and how to play just as hard. My mother is my closest friend now that I'm an adult even if when I was younger I thought she was doing the things she did just to get a rise out of me.

My favorite moments with my mother have been rollerskating, playing volleyball in the yard, seeing her immediate love for the grandson she declared would never call her "grandma" and seeing my son play with her the way I remember playing with her as a child. We have endured many hard moments together. My grandfather's cancer diagnosis, my grandfather's passing, the days my brothers shipped off to boot camp, the day my brother deployed to Iraq and the day I had my miscarriage.

Our relationship has never been and most likely never will be perfect but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Lex woke me up bright and early this morning, I think he couldn't sleep and the dog woke him to get me up to take her out but I wouldn't have changed this Mothers Day for anything. I got to spend quality time with my favorite 2 1/2 year old. We went to lunch with both of my grandmothers and my parents and now my boys are down for naps while I relax and paint my nails.

No comments: