Monday, May 11, 2009

Talk to me baby

Today was Lex's evaluation at speech therapy. I went in half expecting to be told to be patient that boys are just slow to start really talking and lo and behold my concerns were found to be valid. After just a few minutes of talking to me and watching Lex play in her office the evaluator said he's a sensory kid, which is why he likes to make loud noises and bang on things. She recommended speech therapy and possibly a little occupational therapy for him. She also gave him a couple websites that I have to go to to look up information on language development and apraxia. While Lex is too young to have the diagnosis of apraxia she wanted me to know what to look for as signs. She is also asking our dr's office to run a tympanogram (test to see how well his ear drums work) and to check his tonsills really well. After some discussion with Nate we have decided to take him to the speech therapist at St Luke's and I'm contemplating calling the birth to 3 program to do a double handed approach to his therapy. She recommended teaching him sign language too as a way for him to communicate his needs a little better.

While I feel a little better about the fact he doesn't talk and that we are headed in the right direction I feel like crap that no one listened to my concerns earlier...

2 comments:

Patty said...

It's great that he is qualified for services - now he can get the help he needs! Definitely have the tonsils (and ADNOIDS) checked. My little man consistenly fails the tymp. hearing tests, and it turns out that he has swollen adnoids (and as a result, likely sleep apnea too). It really affects his hearing clarity, as well as his speech clarity, which is where we struggle now. Good luck!!

Sarah said...

I thought I had commented on this, but apparently not.

A little speech therapy is probably good--it's not like it'll do any harm if he doesn't need it.

Maybe he is just thinking of words and he will surprise you with a word explosion!