Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

I know it's the time of year when everyone is posting about what they are thankful for and while I normally try to post this throughout the year I figured I'd join the masses and post now.

I am thankful for
-Lex. He's an amazing, frustrating, funny, beautiful and stubborn boy. I spend every day trying to teach him new words and how to communicate his wants and needs with we and he spends those days teaching me how to be more patient. He teaches me how to loosen up and enjoy the day every day. Some days I don't feel like we are meshing, I'm not getting his signals and he's not getting mine but on the days we do it's magic. He'll talk up a storm and I understand his "words" and their meanings, he'll guide me around the house to help him do things. These are all massive strides from a year ago when he wanted to do everything by himself and he wouldn't say much. I just want to see him growing  and expanding as a person.
-My parents. Mom and Dad are wonderful. When we had car trouble earlier in the year Mom came to the rescue. If there's ever a time I can't go get Lex from daycare one of them will go get him for me and entertain him until I can get to their house. They spoil Lex like there is no tomorrow. They always have mini marshmallows for a snack, the layout of their furniture makes a great track and they have the best bed for jumping on. Nana and Papa's house is Lex's favorite place, he loves being home with me but when we get dressed to run errands on the weekend he races to the door yelling "Nanananananana!" So I know he wants to go visit. I'm thankful that these two people that I know love me so much were willing to let me make my own mistakes and are always there to help me get back up when I fall.
-Nate. After being married to someone for 7 years a separation and pending divorce is difficult and he is trying to work with me to have this be as amicable as possible. I know in my heart of hearts I still love him but just not in the same way I once did. I'm thankful for him being there through our whole ordeal of trying to get pregnant, our loss and subsequent amazement of our pregnancy with Lex. He was good at helping while I was pregnant, trying to princess me even though I'd rather keep trucking along. I'm thankful he was so "afraid" of me to go to the nurses station to advocate for me while I was in labor. I'm thankful for him being here when Lex's tympanoplasty tubes were placed, for the sedated hearing test (and getting extra jammies after Lex threw up waking up from sedation) and for sitting by my side when Lex was diagnosed with autism. I'm thankful he handled most of Lex's occupational therapy sessions while I worked and then started the brushing protocol before I could. I'm thankful that even at the end of our relationship we can act like adults and still care about the amazing child we have together.
-My brothers and their loved ones. Karl started the year in Afghanistan and came home safely. He came back a grown up, I was used to my little brother being more teen like and goofy but he's getting his life together and I love being able to watch that change since he's only a block down the street from me. It's nice knowing he's nearby but not so close that we are within bickering  range. I have yet to meet Chelsea his girlfriend but some day. Ollie is an amazing little boy and so funny. I hope to have him and Lex get together to play soon. Matt has been in Missouri working hard and now playing just hard. His fiance Megan is his perfect match they even smile upside down. I'm thankful Matt has found his match in her she's a perfect fit into our family. I'm really thankful for my nephew that Megan is still baking. I love babies! And Samuel is going to be one loved baby!
-My friends Chelli, Penny, Shawne, Kathy, Sally,Tami, Mark and Beth at work. They make the day fly by. We spend so much time laughing and pulling pranks on each other. This is the first job I feel like I'm a member of a team instead of a body filling a position. I love hanging out with these ladies outside of work and their adorable kids.
-My friends Crystal, Krystal, Stephanie and Dustin. Some of you are actually related to me and some of you I wish were, you know who you are. I'm thankful of all the love and support you give when all you really have is a hug from miles away. I'm so proud of you guys for everything you've done in the last year and the things that will come in the new year. Keep your chins up and let me know if you need anything.
-Pam, Lex's daycare teacher. After the problems we had with New Horizons this year Pam has been a miracle. She just seems to "know" what to do when it comes to Lex and some of his difficulties. I almost never get a bad report on his behavior there. The kids there are wonderful too. Yesterday when I dropped Lex off the kids asked if he had school and then were very sad to find out that he did. They wanted to play with their new friend Lex and he wanted to play with them.
-Carol, Lex's special education teacher. Carol is wonderful with Lex. She admitted she didn't really know what to do with him for the first days because he was so difficult to handle. She makes it a point to communicate with me at least once a week and she tries to find the good even when she has bad to tell me about. At his conferences she was proud of the strides he has made and even commented on how she wished the other kids were as good at eating as Lex is.Yesterday's note brings a smile to my face. "AMAZING Day!" Lex was very involved and participated . He did 2 obstacle courses with NO protest and independently did 1-2 more. Then he went to the table to play with playdoh and a peer joined him and they played for 10-15 minutes!" This is really big for Lex and I like to thank Carol for letting me know how he's expanding there and using my ideas when she thinks they'll work for him without interrupting his class
-Douglas County Birth to 3. Most specifically Paula and David, The time we spent working on techniques we learned in occupational and speech services is priceless. Lex had such a good relationship with each of them and I know he enjoyed playing with them while learning. It was hard moving away from their services but Lex is nothing but better for having them.
- Nate's family. They have let me know that I'm still a part of the family even with what's going on with me and Nate. I can't wait to see my eldest niece get married this fall, she'll be a gorgeous bride.I'm glad they were willing to give him a place to live when he moved out and a place for Lex to have fun on his weekends with them.
-Pumpkin, Ozzy and Alice (Bella and Eva). Our kitties are a source of frustration some days ("What do you mean you couldn't throw up in the box... why in my shoes?") but they are a huge source of relaxation for me. It's nice to have a warm body snuggled in my lap while watching movies or taking a nap. It's a load of fun watching them play with whatever "toy" falls on the floor and how easily a shadow can startle them. While Bella and Eva no longer live with me(Bella went to the shelter and was adopted almost instantly, Eva went with Nate) I'm thankful that I got to have the time to get to know them.
-My own learning and strength. This year has been a journey, it's been a long twisty ride and I've come out stronger and smarter for it. I know I'm going to have my down points but if I keep smiling I can manage anything and if I can't handle it myself I have wonderful people that will be here to help me.

No comments: